CTS is seeking a customer focused Telecommunications Service Technician to join our team!
The Telecommunications Service Technician ensures high quality installation, maintenance, and operation of telecommunications systems for both business and residential applications.
Telecommunications Service Technician
Position Title: Telecommunications Service Technician
Department: Field Operations
Reports To: Director of Field Operations
Installs and maintains all aspects of communication systems including wire and cable, facilities and equipment, centralized and distributed telecommunications systems and all peripheral equipment. Provides technical system support and capabilities including, but not limited to, installation, maintenance, modification and repair of telecommunications equipment, products and/or systems. Incumbents can be expected to apply troubleshooting and diagnostic techniques to determine appropriate restoration or repair actions.
Essential Job Functions:
- Establishes communications systems by installing, operating, and maintaining voice and data telecommunications network circuits and equipment.
- Plans network installations by studying customer orders, plans, manuals, and technical specifications.
- Establishes voice and data networks by running, pulling, terminating, and splicing cables; installing telecommunications equipment, routers, switches, multiplexors; programming features; establishing connections and integrations; following industry standards; coordinating with contractors.
- Verifies service by testing circuits, equipment, and alarms; and identifying, correcting, or escalating problems.
- Documents network by labeling and routing equipment and cables and recording configuration diagrams and specifications.
- Maintains network by troubleshooting and repairing outages, testing network back-up procedures, and updating documentation.
- Maintains customer rapport by listening to and resolving concerns and answering questions.
- Maintains safe work environment by following codes, standards, and legal regulations.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and reading technical publications.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Take action that builds trust with customers and internal colleagues.
- Demonstrative ability to work in a collaborative team environment and communicate effectively.
- Knowledge of communications wiring standards and installation practices.
- Knowledge of telecommunications switching and common control systems.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and software.
- Skill in the use and operation of test equipment and diagnostic software.
- Ability to physically install and configure equipment, connections, wiring, and cable working from layouts or plans.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals, schematic diagrams, and related documentation.
Education and Experience:
- Associate degree in a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training or work experience
- One to three years of related telecommunications experience
- Data Center/PoP/Central Office installation experience desired
- Prior experience with VOIP desired
- Prior experience with SIP Trunking implementations desired